Monday, July 2, 2012

A flask…in Greece?

A flask to me, having lived in the UK and seen movies about prohibition, has always seemed a little sinister and sneaky and secret.
A flask seemed to represent a means of getting a drink when it was illegal or unavailable in some way, pub hours for example. Flasks also seemed to be filled with Gin, in my imagination, or Canadian whiskey, especially in gangster movies.

I have never seen a flask in Mexico, Italy, or Spain…booze was always readily available.

Greece seems like the last place in the world for a flask, people carry bottles openly and drinks are available pretty much anywhere. The flask seems to represent a certain amount of secrecy, I am sure users would call it convenient,
nevertheless to me it does have this slightly dark underside…even though I own a few.

All of this is to explain the surprise I had when I saw one and in use.

I was with friends having some tsipouro and some ouzo with a bunch of snacks (mezedes), Greek salad, octopus, marinated fish, all the typical stuff. A friend arrived and he slyly pulled out a beautiful silver flask from his pocket.
Everybody stopped talking and eating and watched this odd behavior. Was he bringing his own homemade tsipouro, or did he decide a gin and tonic was in order. He opened the flask and dramatically poured the contents over the marinated fish and the salad…what the hell was going on? Gin on the tomatoes? Gin marinated fish?

It was his own olive oil; he claimed that the owner of the restaurant was too cheap to put enough olive oil on the mezedes. Everybody thanked him since there was never enough oil on the mezedes, the bread started to be dipped and glasses where clinked, even the owner joined us and made snide comments on the oil.

Seemed like a novel use of a flask, cannot imagine it done in the UK or in a gangster movie.

I wonder how the salad and fish would have been with gin on them?

2 comments:

  1. My wife, Eunice, loved pancakes and pure maple syrup with strawberries and whipped cream. The maple syrup served in restaurants was really a sugar syrup with maple flavoring and my wife hated it. When we went to Vermont, which was often, she would go to a maple tree farm and by gallons of the stuff. She carried a flask like this guy, and whenever we went to breakfast she would fill the flask with pure maple syrup and have her favorite strawberry pancakes with lots of maple syrup and whipped cream. Same principle. cheap restauranteur and brilliant people.

    I guess great minds think alike. Thanks for bronging back the memory of the love of my life, my beautiful, sweet Eunice. I really miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Frank...I am glad it brought back such nice memories

      Delete