Saturday, September 18, 2010

For a few drachmas more...



We first came to Greece in the early sixties and visited relatives in Edipsos, on the island of Evia, a small Greek town.
We were there a few days and I went to the barbershop with a cousin for his twice-weekly shave. I never had a barber shave me; I was looking forward to it.

When my turn came, the barber asked me if I wanted a shave with a view or not.

The shop went quiet, they all looked at me to see my reaction. The barber continued his sales pitch, he said “ for a few drachmas more”, I could have my shave with a view of the sea.

How could I resist, I said “naturally with a view”, how were they going to do that, since we were on a side street. The barber’s chair was moved to the street and turned to the left and looked down the street to a glimpse of the sea.

I was seated in the middle of the street, facing the sea, not a bad view of the sea; I also was not a bad view to most of the town, sitting there like a goof.

The young boy that was helping the barber ran out with a bucket of hot water, some towels and a brush and soap. I was lathered up and got my first shave from a barber. I had a view and a great shave, it was worth a few drachmas more. It really was worth it when the raki came out with all the customers as well and we toasted my view.

I have had many professional shaves throughout the world, never was I asked if I wanted a shave with or without a view.

It seems like a great sales pitch.

5 comments:

  1. Could only have happened to you...and be retold by you so well ...I can see it...exactly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hysterical story. A Greg Birbil anecdote if I ever heard one. Thanks for starting my day with a hearty laugh. Now all I need to complete my day is a little "lion's milk". Maybe more than a little.

    Funny! Funny! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,

    Not sure if you remember me, but I met you a few times at MCE Athens. I worked at Amster Yard on the booze business.

    Love your blog, keep the great stories coming.

    Also, I have an olive tree on my deck in Brooklyn..


    Best,


    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam, it must be the only Olive tree in Brooklyn, we didn't have any in Coney Island.

    ReplyDelete